In His Hands

In His Hands

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Vision Realized (in progress)

             Leaving high school with an uncontainable passion and a handful of goals I aspired to pursue, I stand here today more accomplished than I ever did imagine. My passion began to develop as a senior in high school. I had a strong desire to positively impact this world and I dreamed of using my artistic talent as a means of doing so. Thus I spent four years at Chapman University, working vigorously towards a Bachelor of Science in psychology and a Bachelor of Arts in studio art. I then combined the two subjects, and continued my education as a graduate student at Wheaton College earning a Masters in Art Therapy.
            Through my studies in graduate’s school I acquired the knowledge not only to adequately counsel people, but to use art as a medium of personal expression. Through countless hours of volunteer work with various art therapy organizations my once ignited passion exploded as I began to understand more and more the potential impact this type of therapy could have on others.
            From there I began my own side project, opening a small art gallery is the city of Chicago, Illinois. I did a series of art pieces that illustrated my own struggles, realizations, beliefs, and perspectives. The public reaction was astounding. People from all around the world found themselves identifying with the issues illustrated through my artwork. I then decided to invest into a larger location, and at the new gallery I created an art therapy program that offered classes to people in the community.  I orchestrated classes for kids, teenagers, and adults, and taught them to create pieces of art that communicated their adversities, help them handle stress, work through traumatic experiences, and find their identity.  All the artwork created by my clients was placed on display in the gallery and I began to see dramatic healing taking place amongst all who participated. Even just browsing the gallery, evaluating the pieces of others, and reading up on their thoughts brought forth comfort, hope, and inspiration to all who viewed the art.
            Over time this foundation grew to be so successful that I decided to return back home to Hawaii and plant the same seed throughout the islands. First my focus was first on Maui, where I was born and raised, and then I branched out into Oahu and the Big Island. I got connected with many of the local high schools, boys and girls club, and other organizations who fostered and mentored kids who had been facing strong adversity in their life. It was through the next seven years that I further expanded my program of art therapy. In the islands, not only was I counseling my students through the expression of art, I was preparing teams of people who desired to continue this work. I was raising up students to become leaders themselves, and passing on the knowledge I had acquired in my education so that they would be equipped to go out and impact the lives of people across the world.
            So here I am today, at age fifty eight, recalling every step of the journey that has led me to this point in my life. I’m amazed at how far one dream can take you when pursued with all your heart, mind, and strength. Out of everything I have accomplished in my life, what is most significant to me today are the letters I receive on a monthly basis from my prior students. Letters from India, Africa, Nicaragua, and Spain all boasting in excitement of the change they are seeing occur in one life after another. People who once had no one to care for them, found a place of comfort; people who couldn’t express themselves with words because the burden was too heavy to speak of, found a way to communicate their pain; and people who struggled with learning complication, were strengthening their cognitive abilities. It is these letters that confirm to me that all the time, effort, and sacrifices I’ve put into this foundation have been profoundly worth it. They represent the knowledge that not only did I pursue my passion, but I ignited a stronger passion within the hearts of countless young kids who have stepped up as leaders in this world and are making a difference everyday.
            Therefore, my focus today, alongside of maintaining the foundation, is assisting young high school students who hold the same vision I once held. Every year I give out thousands of dollars in scholarships to seniors who plan to pursue the studies of art and psychology in college, and I’ve set up a team of counselors to keep in contact with, advise, and support the awardees throughout their exploration of art therapy. A great applause is in order for the impact my students have made throughout the world due to their selfless efforts, and be in anticipation for the new possibilities the next generation has to offer.



As my senior year came to a close in 2009, my Mom was the driving force behind this scholarship essay. 
When I say she was the driving force, while I am referring to the fact that she motivated me to actually write it, what I really mean is, she, knowing my full potential, helped me construct the vision. The prompt for this specific essay was simply to imagine myself 50 years down the line and to write about all that I had accomplished. While, some of the details are off, such as, I never did attend Chapman University, rather I decided to go to Wheaton College for my undergraduate studies, my mom and I keep coming back to this paper as more and more opportunities open up for me through my school. We are shocked to see this vision, which we merely composed in the imaginative sense, come to realization. But then again, should we be surprised? Isn't that how God has always worked in my life- giving me a passion, and a vision, and bringing it into fruition by his own power? Yep. Thats my Father! Props to Him for being so involved in unseen ways, and two for giving me a mom that is guiding me in tangible ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment