In His Hands

In His Hands

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Welcome to Ceramics

For the past few months I've been hiding away in the Northwoods of Wisconsin living out my dream -- running my own studio and working as a ceramics instructor. Honey Rock Camp just began it's ceramics program two years ago under the leadership of Professor Hooker and vision of Rob Ribbe. This summer was the first year we implemented the award system, where campers were able to work towards their basic, intermediate, and masters, by learning different techniques, tools, and completing specific projects. We started this summer with slab-built mugs and coil-built pots. It was my joy to watch as each person who worked in the studio took a "structured" art project and made it unique through their own artistic process. We had lace imprinted, tree bark textured, and mountain range stencils painted on mugs, a pear shape, geometric configurations, and two-foot tall coil pots, and thats just a glimpse of six out of the 300+ different projects that were made this summer. 

When I say I was living out my dream, thats me being honest, because now that I'm back in Chicago, I can hardly believe it actually happened.



                             

In the morning when I rose...




... campers, slab-built mugs, coil jars, and slip face painting filled the day...



...then once the evening came...













...the secret work of pirates begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment